The aim of the YV-CPHub is to engage the Greater Yarra Valley and Ranges community in developing and implementing community renewable energy projects. The YV-CPHub will work with the six community energy groups and their wider networks to implement a minimum of two renewable energy projects before 30 June 2022. The intention is to increase awareness of how local communities working together can impact climate change, to increase community resilience and to contribute to the reduction of the community’s carbon footprint.
The YV-CPHub is made up of Healesville CoRE and 5 other community energy groups:
- Yarra Glenergy (from Yarra Glen),
- Clean Energy Nillumbik (from Kangaroo Ground),
- Dandenong Ranges Renewable Energy Association (from Emerald),
- Bunyip Renewables Action Group (from Bunyip) and
- Eastern Climate Action Melbourne (from Box Hill)
These community energy groups sit with in the five local government areas that cover the YV-CPHub’s serviceable region are Yarra Ranges Council, Nillumbik Shire Council, Cardinia Shire Council, Whitehorse City Council, Maroondah City Council.
By 30th June 2022, complete a minimum of two community renewable energy projects as measured by project targets outlined in the project plan as well a pipeline of at least 5-10 new renewable energy projects to be established across the region.
At the end of June 2022, we hope that all 5 community energy groups will have successfully engaged with Yarra Valley Community Power Hub in capacity building activities as measured by a satisfaction survey, determining the level of expertise and support provided and having achieved their outcomes.
There are currently 32 renewable energy projects on the table with the most viable projects currently under assessment being workshopped by Komo Energy and the Steering Group, to be further developed and actioned for roll out. Here is a list of some of the projects that have been shortlisted to be potentially developed further:
- Home Energy Efficiency Advisory Service Short Course with Box Hill College Lilydale Campus to train volunteer home energy efficiency advisors.
- A short course on ‘Community Renewable Energy’ to be run through Community and Neighbourhood Houses.
- Virtual/Remote Home Energy Auditing
- Bulk Buys and / or Community Offers – solar panels, batteries, heat pumps, LED lights